Friday, July 17, 2009

Day Four: Hemp Protein Powder

So, would you like to know why I put so many ingredients into my smoothie and what on earth for? In all honesty I'm just figuring out some of it myself. I like to jump first and think later - a strategy that keeps life exciting, to say the least. Fortunately I am married to a very practical man so I never jump too far (well, almost never).


I thought I would start with hemp protein powder being as it is so misaligned in the media and, as a result, in the minds of the American people. Hemp, often confused with marijuana, began its tragic downfall in the early 1930's. A few highly influential men with profit-driven motives embarked on a crusade to bring the mighty hemp plant to its roots. The plan - guilt by association. The result - one for big corporations, zero for the public and the planet.

Marijuana is a sub-species of hemp. The THC in marijuana is known for it's psychoactive properties. The THC in hemp is hardly known. But guilt by association prevailed and this amazing plant - capable of producing paper,textiles, fuel, oil, rope, plastics (to name just a few) - was outlawed.

Fortunately for us, although still illegal to grow, we have access to this incredible superfood. Hemp is considered by many researchers and doctors to be "one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet." (Super Foods, David Wolfe) Hemp is 35% protein, 47 % fat and 12 % carbohydrate. (But wait...don't freak out about the fat content. Hemp contains a type of fat that actually turns on the fat burning genes!). Hemp contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids in an extremely digestible and accessible form.


Hemp contains an ideal ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6's. The fiber content is the highest of all commercially grown seeds! It is a major source of minerals, contains chloryphyll and valuable vitamins.

Hempseed can be eaten alone as a snack, sprinkled on foods or added to smoothies and dressings. I like it as a protein powder because it is easy to add to a variey of foods, particularly smoothies.

The recommended dosage for adults is 50-75 grams a day. I must say I don't find the flavor all that delectable so I prefer to throw it into something with a million other ingredients (like my smoothie) as opposed to popping a few seeds between meals. But to each her own... so I recommend that you experiment and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment